April 22, 2009

Hump Day Is Stacked To The Tits With Talent, Our Very First Girl Photographer Crush

Well, here we are again, another fantastic hump day is upon us, and what better way to celebrate (other than a good mid-day hump), than to feature the brilliant and sexy photographer Jessica Yatrofsky . Not only is she stacked to the tits with talent, she's also our very first girl photographer to be featured here at Blew. As soon as we laid our eyes on her softly poetic and narrative photos, we knew we were headed towards a girl crush. Not only is she delightfully beautiful and talented, she's also unabashedly open about sexuality and exploring it through her work. Her photos have a slightly nostalgic feel, mingled with a subtle rawness and edge that makes her work immediately shine as her own. 

Here is what she has to say about her work:
"There’s a certain charge I get when getting people naked. An unexplained impulse. It could be that I’m open to what the societal norm considers wrong or should be censored. Anything I create using this content, whether it’s photography, videos, or installation, people always ask, “What’s your intention, what’s your point?” I can’t really answer those questions. Fucking annoying questions. “What drives you to put yourself in these situations?” It’s ridiculous to try and figure out the what, because it’s not in the what. If something is spelled out to me when looking at a piece, I’m like “oh yeah, I get it” and move on to the next. When looking at art, especially a photo, I want to be confused. I want to look at it and think, "Hey, what’s going on?" I like ambiguity. I like when someone can expropriate their own meaning from art. Whatever they see in it is what the work is about. That to me is art."
Strangers, Lovers, and Friends; Her works feature 3 types of subjects, each one having its own unique characteristics. She tells us a little about what its like for her to work with each one of these:

Stranger
You never really know what’s going to happen when you photograph them. I like the uncertainty. I thrive off of that. I invite and adapt to what ever unfolds. The situation becomes almost collaborative. The scene unravels and you learn what they’re willing to do. Exhibitionists, a lot of times, are willing to do more than you expected. First they get naked, and you’re like “ok.”
They get comfortable and aroused, then want to masturbate. They want to cum. The Strangers get a sexual charge out of the situation, where my charge is purely derived from curiosity and intrigue. What drives them to put themselves in this situation? I don’t know… and I don’t care.

Lover
You can achieve a lot with intimacy. With intimacy there’s trust. I never want to exploit the person. It’s done in a way where I revere the person. I’m interested in sexuality and I want to share that experience.
There are two aspects when photographing a lover…
When you play with the idea of limits you can create some interesting photos.
If there’s a lack of sexual intelligence, or sexual liberation, the work falls apart. You need someone to fully surrender. Surrender their ego, body and self-image. When this is done, you see no struggle in the images. They become organic, instead of controlled and contrived bullshit. Can tell a lot in a photo? You’re seeing that person how I’m seeing them, but maybe you’re not. Maybe I’m a good director. Maybe the subject is controlling their image and pose by acting for me and the camera, concerned with how they will be seen.
I guess I’m the only one that really knows the difference.

Friend
To bear one's self is intimate and brave. To allow some one to experience that, for me is gratifying. As a photographer I want to provide an environment that makes them feel beautiful. As a friend, playfulness and laughter is essential. Everyone needs to feel beautiful, attractive and desired. That’s what it comes down to. Desire. If not from themselves, from someone else. It’s all about desire.



We love how she explores and captures moments of sexuality, desire, beauty and love in her photos. There is a very strong story in each photo that somehow strips the pretenses away and reveals a very honest look at the subject and the situation. She discusses how being uninhibited and exposing yourself is very important to her and her work, and we can see that in the photos she takes. The hyper real and soft rawness in her work lets us see deeper into the moments captured and also allows for a very sensual and charged subtext to surface.


1 comment: